10.1-STABLE bce: Watchdog timeout occurred

Chris Ross cross+freebsd at distal.com
Tue Apr 21 03:19:22 UTC 2015

  I got a new [to me] system recently, a Dell PE 1950.  It has two bce parts on the motherboard that identify as:

bce#: <QLogic NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T (B2)>

  The OS I installed and kernel I'm running are from a download of a 10.1 STABLE ISO, r281235, April 7, 2015.

  I had gone on to check out a newer stable from subversion, and build a custom kernel, but when I booted that one I got a bce0 that didn't seem to work, and kept emitting:

bce0: /usr/src/sys/dev/bce/if_bce.c(7869): Watchdog timeout occurred, resetting!
bce0: link state changed to DOWN
bce0: link state changed to UP

  So, I fell back.  But I've since noticed that even the original kernel seems to do this after booting.  I'm not yet running any notable amount of traffic through the system, but intend to make it an edge router, so certainly will be.

  Is there any sort of issue noted in the bce driver in recent days/weeks/months?  Are other folks seeing this diagnostic/error?

  I'll do a little more testing and see if I'm seeing it more or less often, but I know that in at least some cases the interface has flapped like this after boot for long enough that I was unable to get connected remotely, and resorted to a console login to reboot.

                                                - Chris