Encrypted (GELI) root on ZFS troubles

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Wed Oct 1 21:59:19 UTC 2014

On 10/1/2014 4:52 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> On 02/10/2014 00:27, Karl Denninger wrote:
>> So here's the fun part of what I'm trying to do (and getting frustrated
>> with)
>>
>> I have set up a GPT disk with the following setup:
>>
>> =>       34  625142381  da2  GPT  (298G)
>>          34          6       - free -  (3.0K)
>>          40       1024    1  freebsd-boot  (512K)
>>        1064    4194304    2  freebsd-zfs  [bootme]  (2.0G)
>>     4195368  134217728    3  freebsd-swap  (64G)
>>   138413096  486729312    4  freebsd-zfs  (232G)
>>   625142408          7       - free -  (3.5K)
>>
>> Then on freebsd-boot I have written the bootloaders.
>>
>> The "bootme" filesystem has *only* the /boot directory copied over from
>> the rest of the system's root directory (that is, the kernel, loadables,
>> /boot/loader.conf, etc); that pool is called "zboot"
>>
>> Partition 4 has the label "root0" on it, and thus shows up in /dev/gpt.
>> I have initialized that with geli, set the boot option flag (that is,
>> prompt on boot) and created a pool called "root" on the resulting .eli
>> device and then put the system on that.  That's all ok.
>>
>> Finally, I set the bootfs on that latter pool.  There is no bootfs set
>> on /zboot:
>>
>> # zpool get bootfs zboot
>> NAME   PROPERTY  VALUE   SOURCE
>> zboot  bootfs    -       default
>>
>> It is set on the root pool to the proper filesystem:
>>
>> # zpool get bootfs root
>> NAME  PROPERTY  VALUE              SOURCE
>> root  bootfs    root/R/10.1-CLEAN  local
>>
>> The problem is that when the system boots geli "finds" the raw device
>> (in this case /dev/da0p4), prompts for the password and attaches there
>> instead of in /dev/gpt.  The gpt label is missing --- and equally bad
>> the "root" pool does not appear to import at boot time either.
>>
>> As a result the system tries to mount root from /zboot (even though it's
>> not been told to, and HAS been told where to mount off the root pool),
> As far as *I* can see, you have not told the kernel what your root fs should be,
> so it is using a default root filesystem which the same filesystem from where
> the kernel itself was loaded.
>
>> but there's no init in there (or anything else other than the boot
>> filesystem itself) and as a result I get an immediate panic.

Various wikis on setting this up have strongly suggested that
/boot/loader.conf no longer needs to have the root filesystem declared
explicitly as it is able to locate it via looking in the pool metadata.
Is this wrong in this specific case?

(Not a huge deal if so, but it's not at all clear that's true -- and it
doesn't do anything for the issue of geli grabbing the base device
rather than the /dev/gpt one.)

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net <mailto:karl at denninger.net>