ZFS pool creation from files leads to a crash

Bogdan SOLGA bogdan.solga at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 06:39:32 UTC 2014

Hello, everyone!

Yesterday I have started to test FreeBSD-10.1-RELEASE, using VirtualBox VMs
created from the mfsBSD <http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/> 10.1 image. I installed the
system on a 2 GB zpool, with fletcher4 checksumming and LZJB compression.

As I need some other ZFS zpools for testing purposes, I have tried to
create them from a few empty files, created as follows:
# truncate -s 100M /tmp/file1
# truncate -s 100M /tmp/file2
# zpool create test-pool /tmp/zfile1 /tmp/file2

When the 'zpool create' command is executed, it leads to a crash and the VM
is automatically restarted. I have searched the crash dump in the logs, but
coulnd't find it.

The same operation (creating a ZFS pool from files) works properly on
FreeBSD-10-RELEASE.

Any help is appreciated :)

Thank you!

Kind regards,