best overall upgrade from 8.x?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 04:48:50 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM, Royce Williams <royce at tycho.org> wrote:

> I have some 8.x boxes that I'm looking to start planning to transition
> before 8.4 is likely to go EOL next year.
>
> All other things being equal, what's the general consensus on where to
> upgrade to from 8.x ... 9.x, or 10.x?
>
> I do know that YMMV, and I also know that 10.x is likely to be
> supported longer.  I'm just looking for people's overall impressions.
>
> Royce

I'd wait a month or so and, if no problems that might impact you pop up,
I'd go with 10.1 as it is an extended support release and will be supported
until sometime in 2017. I have been running 10 for many months and all of
my few systems are either running recent 10.1-STABLE or 10.1 release. If
you have internally developed code, I'd suggest starting to test it when
built with CLANG. While GCC is still available as a port, CLANG is the only
base system compiler and will get the bulk of the support.

Without a bit more information on the nature and workload of the systems,
it's not possible to give any more specific recommendations.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com