10/stable panic: softdep_deallocate_dependencies: dangling deps

Ronald Klop ronald-lists at klop.ws
Tue Jul 1 07:57:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 14:22:02 +0200, Dmitry Sivachenko
<trtrmitya at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have several machines with rather fresh FreeBSD-10/stable.
>
> They all have 4 SATA drives, I have small gmirrored root+var and the
> rest of the drive space is mounted as /disk1, /disk2, etc (UFS2+SU).
> When a single disk fails, system panics with
> "softdep_deallocate_dependencies: dangling deps" message:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~demon/softdep.png
>
> Since all vital data (root+var) are mirrored, I expect OS to stay alive.

Hi,

So /disk1, /disk2 are not (g)mirrored? In that case the system cannot
handle write failure. Because writes are not synchronous (for speed) there
is no possibility to return an error to the application.
The OS does not have a notion of 'vital data'. Disk1 and disk2 could
contain more vital data than root+var as far as the OS knows.

I didn't program the filesystems of FreeBSD, so I might be wrong on some
reasoning, but this is the idea.

Ronald.