FreeBSD 10.0-RC5 Now Available

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 12 03:36:39 UTC 2014

from  Mark Felder <feld at FreeBSD.org>:

> I have a desktop at work with a flaky USB bus that disconnects my keyboard and mouse occasionally and the only reliable way to keep them connected is the recent devd hot plugging feature.

I have or had that problem too, noticed on 10-prerelease but not on 9.2-STABLE or 11-HEAD.

This raises doubts on whether 10-prerelease is stabler than 11-HEAD.

I even had two instances of 10-prerelease installation crashing at a time of idleness and going into the db> prompt.

I could upgrade 9.2-STABLE to 11-HEAD without going through 10.0.

What seems to have helped was to add to /boot/loader.conf a line increasing the SCSI delay/timeout.  Default is

#kern.cam.scsi_delay="2000"     # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI

as found in /boot/defaults/loader.conf .

I change 2000 to 10000 or more.

Tom