FreeBSD 10.1-amd64 -> booting on a HP DL380 Gen9 results in panic

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 22 15:06:52 UTC 2014

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 7:27:13 pm Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we got one to test and it booted using the UEFI memory stick image.
>
> However, I get a panic after
> Event time „LAPIC“ quality 600
> ACPI APIC Table: <HP     Proliant>
> panic: APIC: CPU with APIC ID 0 is not enabled
> cpuid = 0
>
> and then a stack backtrace
>

> What does that mean?
>
> AFAIK, I have a single E5-2620V3 CPU and 16 GB RAM in there.
>

> It’s primarily intended as a test-system - but earlier or later I will have
to put one into production because we’ll likely stop procuring Gen8 systems
sometime next year (when they simply stop becoming available).

> I haven’t tried a snapshot of current.

Eh, the table that ACPI provides that lists the available CPUs in the system
claims that that the CPU that the kernel booted from is disabled.  We assume
that the boot processor is valid and enabled (since it is running the kernel
already!)  This is almost certainly a firmware bug.  Booting without UEFI
would be a good test as Mark suggested.  If you can capture a verbose dmesg,
that would also include enough details about what we found in the ACPI table
to debug this further perhaps.

--
John Baldwin