9.2-RC3 - suspend/resume causes slow system performance

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sun Sep 1 20:40:44 UTC 2013

On 31 August 2013 23:41, Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org> wrote:

> >     I've tracked this down to a single line, details in
> >     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=181632.  Basically, the
> code is
> >     now doing a 'sti, hlt' vs. a 'sti' in some code that is only
> supposed to run
> >     if idle is disabled.  Given that 'hlt' is the idle instruction, this
> doesn't
> >     seem right.
> >

> > Wow, nice!
> >
> > Avg - can we get this fixed? Or just revert this!
>
> Thank you for trying to be helpful.  But let's not jump to conclusions.
> BTW, I am following up on the problem in the PR.

Sure, I'd like to know why it's behaving badly. But since we're so close to
9.2-REL, do you think you can get it sorted out and bug-free on all the
existing platforms that people are using 9.2 on (including server, desktop
and laptop) without reverting it?

Reverting and fixing it later seems like the safest option to me. Is there
a bigger problem that you tried to fix in that patch that wasn't as obvious?

Thanks,

-adrian