x11 hangs unkillable on 10.0-BETA1

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 06:11:47 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM, illoai at gmail.com <illoai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 October 2013 01:10, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM, illoai at gmail.com <illoai at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> starts

> >> Screams of the tormented?  Basically, I debug [X] by disabling
> >> features until it doesn't lock up, & then I use those settings until
> >> it causes lockups (from updates).
> >>
> >> mplayer would reliably lock Xorg if I used (or allowed) vo=sdl
> >> or higher (gl, gl2, whatever).  vo=x11 a) never locks up xorg &
> >> 4) doesn't allow resizing of windows to scale the player.  Oh f'well.

> >> is one of those terrible i915 or something video cards.  Ugh.
> >

> > I am surprised by this. I have a T42 with the Intel 3000 graphics card
> and
> > it has worked quite well for me. I use mplayer, vlc, and (primarily)
> xine on
> > it.  I use the default video output device for all. I thought the default
> > was Xv, but I could well be wrong. It's been working for me on stable for
> > well over a year. I started using it when kib made patches available,
> but I
> > have been running the committed version.
> >
> > Just to confirm, you have WITH_NEW_XORG=YES and WITH_KMS=YES in
> > /etc/make.conf and have built all X ports and the kernel with these
> options.
>
> No*, AMD, but I've had my fill of Intel naughtiness lo many years ago.
> I've essentially defaulted to the equivalent of VESA, given the horrors
> that lie within the realms of DRM & DRI & GL.
>
> The problem is manifold, but no matter what the Xorg  (& FBSD DRM)
> driver writers do, the hardware manufacturers move to weirder & odder
> methods of displaying (or desplaying, if you're trying to follow allonge
> in miþle ænglisc) your graphical content.  Oddly enough, they seem
> to have a rather short turnaround on their Windows™ drivers.
>

> Anyway, don't trust new technology, unless it directly benefits you,
> & even then, don't trust it.
>
> *None of those settings, but how does that affect your situation?

If you have AMD and are running 9, you can't use WITH_KMS (only supports
Intel)  and probably don't want WITH_NEW_XORG as it won't work with newer
AMD graphics.

If you are running 10, you want WITH_NEW_XORG, the fairly current Xorg
code. It requires the option because X.org dropped support for a lot of
older GPUs. You can try WITH_NEW_XORG and see how well it works with your
AMD system. 10 also brings KMS support for AMD GPUs. I have none, so I
can't say how well it works.

I forgot that the kernel is now always built to support KMS, so it's only
the X ports that require a re-build.

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com