Installing packages from 9.2 Release DVD

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Tue Oct 8 09:29:09 UTC 2013

On Oct 7, 2013, at 11:35 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> Dear All ,
>
> In sysinstall , there are menu items to install packages from release DVD .
>
> In bsdinstall , there is NO such package installation menu items .

You've got the wrong tool.

s/bsdinstall/bsdconfig/

> Another problem is there is no any available information about this subject
> in the Handbook installation pages ( at least I could not find any one one
> ) .

bsdconfig was just born in 9.2-R. Nobody has gotten around to documenting it.
I'll be doing the first presentation on it at the vBSDcon [un]Conference coming
up in a couple weeks (Oct 25-27th in Reston, VA; hosted by Verisign).

> Is there any such available information link , and is there any possibility
> to include such information into Handbook pages and Release Notes templates
> ?

bsdconfig(8) was announced in the quarterly announcements and release
highlights for FreeBSD 9.2-R.

As for the handbook... it will take time for doc folks to assimilate it.

> When there is no such information , people will use
>
> pkg_add -r ...
>
> statement although many packages are already in the release DVD which means
> a large waste of band width .

Only media type that bsdconfig(8) doesn't support is TAPE. However, bsdconfig
supports a couple new types of media for accessing packages. Other than that,
your old friends of CD/DVD, FTP, HTTP, FTP via Proxy, NFS, and some new ones
are all there.

> ( Please consider less experienced people : Each year , many persons are
> entering into an age to try FreeBSD without prior experience about FreeBSD
> . Lack of necessary information about install is an important obstacle for
> such new entries . )

I appreciate your feedback.

Rest assured, less experienced peoples *were* considered.

That's why I started work on bsdconfig(8) 3 years ago shortly after the deprecation
of sysinstall in base.

The curses-UI-loving folks were not forgotten (less experienced or otherwise; a
fancy TUI/GUI doesn't necessarily mean it has to be only usable to less skilled
folks... take "bsdconfig startup" for example -- something not normally possible
with any other tool regardless of your skill level).
--
Devin