9.2-RC4 amd64 panic: vm_page_unwire

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Tue Oct 1 11:23:14 UTC 2013

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, 19:55 +1000, John Marshall wrote:
> Another data point: both systems on which I have seen this panic have
> the ipmi driver compiled in.  ipmi makes the BMC's watchdog timer
> available to the system.

So, I decided to revert my source tree to a clean releng/9.2
(9.2-RELEASE) and recompile without the ipmi driver (so there goes the
watchdog timer too), and see how the system behaved.  I was able to stop
and start ntpd without mishap.  If ntpd was not running, the system
would reboot cleanly.  If ntpd was running, the system would panic
during shutdown - vm_page_unwire - while stopping ntpd.

I decided to switch my source tree back to releng/9.1 (9.1-RELEASE-p7),
rebuild, and test.  Booted into the 9.1 kernel in single-user, installed
the 9.1 world, make delete-old, decided to skip mergemaster (why??!!);
reboot; and it wouldn't :-/

  menuset-loadinitial not found
  Consoles: internal video/keyboard
  BIOS drive C: is disk0
  BIOS drive D: is disk1
  BIOS 565kB/3136000kB available memory

  FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
  (root at ozsrv04.riverwillow.net.au, Tue Oct  1 18:04:14 AEST 2013)
  Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
  Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

  panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0xbf492150 from /kits/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/
  ../../common/module.c:1004

That should keep me entertained until the morning (this is a remote
system).

--
John Marshall