10-BETA3 install test; 3 issues

symbolics at gmx.com symbolics at gmx.com
Fri Nov 15 14:31:11 UTC 2013

Hi

I usually run -CURRENT but I stepped back to -BETA3 to test things before 10
goes out. I had a few problems. The most pressing being that the bootcode on
the disc does not work on my laptop. The installation completed, I rebooted
and the system tried to PXE boot. I then booted into the live CD and manually
added the -b and -p bootcode, with the same result on the following boot.
However, doing this process using a 9.1-RELEASE cd did get the system booting
normally. The laptop is an HP Elitebook 2570p. Prior to this installation I
was running -CURRENT and using a normal installworld/installkernel procedure.

Secondly, I wanted to set up my disc with a 30GB UFS2 / and a 70GB ZFS /home.
I used the 'graphical' partition editor rather than the shell, perhaps a
mistake, and it didn't work. That is to say, I'd expect it to set up ZFS
filesystems on the partitions I'd added with freebsd-zfs type. In the end I
just installed the system with / and migrated /home to ZFS later.

Finally, I enabled ZFS and created my /home pool. ARC took up most of my free
memory (I have 16GB). Later, I was building some ports when I actually ran out
of memory. I had no swap configured at that time, so the processes were
killed. I set a limit on the ARC size to 2GB and everything is working again.
Surely this should be happening on a default ZFS install though?

I guess I'm just a magnet for issues!

--sym