pkgng: how to upgrade a single port?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Nov 7 07:18:11 UTC 2013

On 05/11/2013 01:51, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2013, at 19:02, Paul Mather <paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
> wrote:

>> I have always admired the NetBSD pkgsrc Quarterly releases, which
>> is close to getting a -STABLE package set on *BSD.  Has there ever
>> been discussion of a slower-moving Ports set for FreeBSD that only
>> gets security updates? That would be a nice middle ground between
>> the glacial progress of RHEL Yum packages and the -CURRENT like
>> Ports as it is right now.

> The only thing stopping that is manpower. We don’t have it. Please
> feel free to join the ports team and scratch that itch. However, we
> already have enough architectural work ahead of us and PRs to sift
> through that it probably isn’t feasible at this point in time.

Quarterly releases are indeed under consideration.  These would be
snapshots of the ports take one a quarter, be supported for one year,
and only receive security and critical updates.  They'd also replace the
per-release package sets bundled with each OS release.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/201309DevSummit/Ports

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--