9.2-RELEASE amd64 panic: vn_open_cred

Matt Magoffin matt at msqr.us
Wed Nov 6 03:41:34 UTC 2013

On Nov 6, 2013, at 3:29 PM, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not see how you being new to freebsd prevents the system from dumping
> core.

I appreciate your response. Being new, I did not have dumpdev set in rc.conf, and my root device is ZFS, which I snapshot before the upgrade and I completely rolled back after rebooting, before looking for any dumps. If I attempt the upgrade again, I have dumpdev configured now, and I will not rollback /var/crash after rebooting.

> At least, look up the source line number for the VOP_ADD_WRITECOUNT_APV+0x78,
> by loading the kernel.debug into kgdb and doing
> list *VOP_ADD_WRITECOUNT_APV+0x78
> The lines should be from the build-time generated file vnode_if.c, so please
> provide the excerpt from the source file around the reported line.

I am running a GENERIC amd64 kernel, which I have not compiled. Is there a way to deduce the appropriate line without a dump? Or, would I need to trigger a panic in another machine running the same kernel?

> Just in case, do you have out-of-tree kernel modules installed on your
> system ?  If yes, did you recompiled them after the upgrade ?

I do not have any out-of-tree kernel modules installed. The ones I have (in my running 9.1 system) are:

 1   23 0xffffffff80200000 1323780  kernel
 2    1 0xffffffff81524000 2084f8   zfs.ko
 3    2 0xffffffff8172d000 5c68     opensolaris.ko
 4    1 0xffffffff81735000 4a30     aesni.ko
 5    4 0xffffffff8173a000 2b4a8    crypto.ko
 6    3 0xffffffff81766000 dde0     zlib.ko
 7    1 0xffffffff81774000 4cd0     cryptodev.ko
 8    1 0xffffffff81779000 5a958    ipl.ko
 9    1 0xffffffff81a12000 15c2     fdescfs.ko
10    1 0xffffffff81a14000 bfda     pefs.ko

Cheers,
Matt