10-BETA3

Mark Felder feld at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 5 21:56:02 UTC 2013

On Nov 5, 2013, at 15:14, Andreas Nilsson <andrnils at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently started using the 10 branch, and to my horror I found that make
> now no longer support -p switch.
>
> Is there any plans on providing such a switch for compatibility with gmake
> and previous make i fbsd?

fmake (older FreeBSD):
     -p      Only print the input graph, not executing any commands.  The out-
             put is the same as -d g1.  When combined with -f /dev/null, only
             the builtin rules of make are displayed.

gmake:
       -p, --print-data-base
            Print  the data base (rules and variable values) that results from
            reading the makefiles; then execute as usual or as otherwise spec-
            ified.   This  also prints the version information given by the -v
            switch (see below).  To print the  data  base  without  trying  to
            remake any files, use make -p -f/dev/null.

Well, the new make (bmake) supports -d g1 so I guess you can see what you want to see using that. It would be really simple to add an option that makes -p work again, but I guess nobody else noticed its absence.