pkgng: how to upgrade a single port?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Mon Nov 4 23:03:09 UTC 2013

Am 04.11.2013 um 23:15 schrieb Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org>:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, all the things you've said are correct.
>
> But once that's all said and done, you're still going to end up
> occasionally (or not so occasionally) hitting issues where upgrading a
> package without upgrading the dependencies ends up _breaking_ things.
>
> A lot of what makes yum/apt/etc work is because they have a stable
> package set and this hides all of the crap surrounding dependency
> changing hell. Things are much more exciting if you run debian-testing
> though (ie, you get exactly what you described with openjdk /
> apache-solr.)

Weren’t there plans to run a „stable“ ports-tree at some point?

Does anybody know how large a ports-tree is without GUI-apps?

Our internal repo is now just shy of 1000 packages (most php53-modules, 100+ PERL-modules, some python, ruby, apache, nginx, some java).

It’s a huge effort to stabilize that tree between releases - I can’t imagine anybody doing it for the full ports-tree without a couple of FTEs.