svn - but smaller?

Markiyan Kushnir markiyan.kushnir at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 03:56:55 UTC 2013

Hello John,

Tested svnup for a while, and I can say it does its job well, and works
basically as I would expect, so thanks for your initiative. Although it
appears to be quite resource greedy. Most of the time it showed
something like:

  PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
22270 mkushnir      1 102    0 44944K 31804K CPU0    1   6:22 97.56% a.out

I looked at the source code, and found that it uses svn commands that
are known as the "main command set". The program is implemented around
get-dir and get-file. I think there is significant room for resource and
performance improvement.

Have you considered an approach to use what svn folks call the editor
command set? I mean acting as a trivial svn client: we might ask the
server to drive our checking out or updating. The server will be telling
us only diffs. Checking out a full tree would be just another diff,
although bigger than usually. We would also benefit from compression on
the wire.

Another advantage would be to always have consistent repo more-or-less
guaranteed by the svn server.

I've done some proof of concept recently, and the results look
encouraging to me. For example, a do-nothing update really does nothing.
A two-or-three revisions update takes a couple of seconds. And a full
checkout of the base/stable/9 takes ~7m30s at 530kB/s to me.

--
Markiyan.