Re: What is the Right Way(™) to run X?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Mar 17 15:06:25 UTC 2013

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:37:08PM +1030 I heard the voice of
> Daniel O'Connor, and lo! it spake thus:
>> Hi,
>> I recently updated my 9.1-PRE system's ports and my previous X
>> config now results in no mouse (but the keyboard does work).
>>
>> I found that I needed to add the following..
>> Section "ServerFlags"
>>         Option      "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
>> EndSection
>
> I think general wisdom is that AEI is a Bad Idea for various reasons
> that I don't remember, but seemed reasonable when I read them.
>
> However, some time back, X _did_ start being all stupid about finding
> the mouse for me.  Un/re-plugging it (USB) after starting X made it
> show up working, but that's annoying and stupid (and not an option on
> other systems with e.g. PS/2 meece).  I wound up sticking the "other
> half" of that oft-cargo-culted incantation:
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>    Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
> EndSection
>
> in my config, and it's worked OK since.  's probably worth a try...

Both options were used to tell X not to use hal for input device
detection.  AEI was misused for that, but kind of worked while causing
other problems.

Turning off AutoAddDevices is the good way that does not cause other
problems.

Even better is just to deinstall hal.  I believe it is still required by
Gnome and KDE, but xfce runs fine without it.