ZFS "stalls" -- and maybe we should be talking about defaults?

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Fri Mar 8 09:43:20 UTC 2013

On Mar 5, 2013, at 11:09 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

>>> - Disks are GPT and are *partitioned, and ZFS refers to the partitions
>>>  not the raw disk -- this matters (honest, it really does; the ZFS
>>>  code handles things differently with raw disks)
>>
>> Not on FreeBSD as far I can see.
>
> My statement comes from here (first line in particular):
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2013-January/248697.html
>
> If this is wrong/false, then this furthers my point about kernel folks
> who are in-the-know needing to chime in and help stop the
> misinformation.  The rest of us are just end-users, often misinformed.

As far as I know, this is lore than surfaces periodically in the lists. It was true in Solaris (at least in the past).
But unless I'm terribly wrong, this doesn't happen in FreeBSD. ZFS sees "disks", and they can be a whole
raw device or a partition/slice, even a gnop device. No difference.

That's why I mentioned in freebsd-fs that we badly need an official doctrine, carefully curated, and written in holy letters ;)

Borja.