svn - but smaller?

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Fri Jan 25 02:20:58 UTC 2013

On 25/01/2013 03:13, Chris Rees wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2013 14:33, "John Mehr" <jcm at visi.com> wrote:
>> Correct.  I just want to give the folks that administer the servers a
> heads-up that there's going to be a lot more entries in their log files
> coming from me -- unless it's an undocumented feature of the svn protocol,
> md5 signatures for files are not included in directory requests and I need
> to issue a get-file command for each and every file to get their md5
> signatures in order to determine which local files need an update.  :(
>
> It'd probably be faster for you to use svnsync to get a local mirror of the
> repo.

and if you're going to set up a local mirror, save yourself a couple of
days' sync time. Instead of synchronizing from scratch, start with the
most recent seed file (repository archive) available on your nearest FTP
mirror.

 ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/subversion/

Clues for building a mirror can be found here:

 <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/subversion-primer.html#AEN1201>

...but if you're only using it for testing - and it doesn't need to be
up to date - then you don't need to worry about setting up svnsync and
updating your local mirror. Simply unbundling an archive of a repository
from a seed file and serving it via svnserve (and/or apache) is all you
need to do.

--
John Marshall