Adaptec 5805 as a guest on ESXi 5.5 - problem

Paul Bucher paul at busybsoftware.com
Fri Dec 20 23:16:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013, at 13:54, kaczorem wrote:

 Hi,

> I've installed a FreeBSD (stable 9.2) as a guest on ESXi 5.5. I've added
> Adaptec Controller via passthrough. Unfortunately FreeBSD does not show
> hard
> drives. Any clue?

 It¹s a problem with the FreeBSD driver. I¹ve been running FreeNAS for
over a year now in this exact setup. I¹ve been using the 9.0 FreeBSD
driver from the Adaptec update site along with the newest firmware, I was
using the b30034 version of the driver(you might need to pick a newer card
on the support site to get your hands on that version of the driver). I
recently updated to FreeNAS 9.2RC2 and it broke the binary driver and I
had to compile the source for the adaptec site to get a working driver
again. It does spit out a bunch of CAM errors during boot up but I¹ve been
using it in production for over a year now without issue. I do highly
recommend switching to a LSI card if you can, I don¹t have an option on
the box I¹m using.

Also do read that thread about using FreeNAS in a virtual environment.
Just make sure you follow the suggestions that make sense for your
environment.