Does svn-to-cvs still work? & How to use freebsd-update?

Milan Obuch freebsd-stable at dino.sk
Thu Nov 15 10:43:08 UTC 2012

Hello,

it looks like updating source/ports via csup does not work for some
time. I was using for a long time simple command sequence

csup -h cvsup.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
csup -h cvsup.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

to update both source files and ports collection. For some (maybe five)
days there is nothing updated. Is svn-to-cvs stil working? In some mail
there was announced February 2013 as last time it will work (writing
from my memory, not looking up this mail in some archive, so I could be
wrong).

As I will need to change my work flow anyhow in some not too distant
future, I decided to test freebsd-update, which should be able to
update system sources along with binaries in compiled form. I need only
the former, but that's just me (and knowing how to use it for userland
binaries/kernel update is not bad anyway).

When I tried it, however, all I saw was this:

# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching public key from update5.FreeBSD.org... failed.
Fetching public key from update4.FreeBSD.org... failed.
Fetching public key from update3.FreeBSD.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

So no joy here - no files fetched. I was using /etc/freebsd-update.conf
untouched, as installed on system, or copied from /usr/src/etc
directory if it did not exist on my system.

Is there anything I could try to find the root cause it does not work
for me? I am sure it is used by others and I did not see any message
about it not working (at least not today or in not too distant past).

Regards,
Milan