Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

Adam Strohl adams-freebsd at ateamsystems.com
Thu May 31 14:53:58 UTC 2012

On 5/31/2012 21:47, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> Regarding packages, I've never really explored it, would you detail a bit ?

Well, I really mean the resulting pkg info from a port.  A good example
is PHP, sometimes you have to say "everyone out of the pool" because of
an upgrade:

cd /var/db/pkg && PKGS=`ls | egrep "^(php|pear|pecl)"`; for PKG in
$PKGS; do echo "---- $PKG"; pkg_delete "$PKG"; done;

Running that a few times until it stops picking things up, then its a
few commands to re-install PHP and its extensions (because of the
extensions roll-up port).

You can of course script it further, which is part of why I like FreeBSD
so much.