Boot hangs on v9 system at CD device probe

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Thu May 31 11:02:26 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 05:13:44PM -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 14:54 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I sent a note about this a couple of weeks ago, but have not heard
> > anything. I'm really getting a bit desperate.
> >
> > I have a system that I am trying to upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0. I have
> > built it and installed the kernel, but it fails to boot. The boot
> > freezes after probing for my hard drives during the probe of the
> > CDROM. It just sits there, seemingly forever, though I have never
> > waited longer then a few minutes.
> >
> > The system is a SuperMicro C25BX mother board. The DVD is PATA,
> > reported on boot of 8-Stable as:
> > acd0: DVDR <ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P/9P59> at ata2-master UDMA66
> >
> > If I unplug the CDROM, it boots fine, but I really need the device on
> > the system, so I really can't leave it unplugged. Also, after the 9
> > kernel is installed, my Mk file have been updated so that I can't
> > build some ports if I boot the 8.2 kernel. Does anyone remember this
> > being reported by others? It was most likely on current, as it was
> > probably prior to the release of 9. I googled around, but could not
> > find it.
> >
> > I'd really appreciate it if anyone can point me toward a solution.
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> When faced with a mystery like this I sometimes go into the mode of
> "poke it with a stick and see if it twitches."  If you can get it to
> twitch at all, maybe that's a starting point.  In this case, I guess I
> might start with seeing if setting hw.ata.atapi_dma=0 in the loader
> makes any difference.

Note that hw.ata.atapi_dma isn't honored by 9.0 with options ATA_CAM
(default in GENERIC). Support for that loader tuneable was only
resurrected rather recently (but is available in stable/9). The
equivalent for 9.0 would be setting hint.ata.X.mode to PIO4 where
X is the number of the ata(4) device attached for the channel the
CDROM is connected to.
ATA_CAM is indeed known to break ATAPI DMA for some ATA controllers
though. What's the `pciconf -lv` output for this one?

Marius