Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Wed May 30 21:22:04 UTC 2012

On Wed, 30 May 2012 19:20:31 +0100
David Chisnall <theraven at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> This is off-topic, so please feel free to disregard it, but I'm
> sending it to this list in the hope that it will reach a largish
> number of users.
>
> I am currently looking at updating some of our advocacy material
> (which advertises exciting new features like SMP support), and before
> I do I'd like to get a better feel for why the rest of you are using
> FreeBSD.  If you had to list the three things you most like about
> FreeBSD, which would you pick?  Are they the same as when you first
> started using it?
>
> David_______________________________________________
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to
> "freebsd-stable-unsubscribe at freebsd.org"

1) Stability in the meaning of "does not break config semantics from one
second to the other without mentioning".

2) Help from the list which not only solves your problem, but teaches!
also.

3) Features like ZFS, PF, periodic, ZFS ...

I could name many more, but you wanted the top three and I am not really
sure about the order, so I just typed down those which came to mind
first.

BTW, I got hooked coming from Gentoo, so I am sure I would miss and then
list many more FreeBSD-likables when I would be forced away.

Cheers, Christopher