Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Wed May 30 20:15:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, 30 May 2012 13:59:01 -0500, Chris Nehren
<apeiron+freebsd-stable at isuckatdomains.net> wrote:

> 4. Everything "feels right" and "makes sense" on a very deep level for
> me, in a way that never happened with the other Unix and Unix "alike"
> OSs I've used.

Bingo.

For me:

1) Integration. The OS is integrated very well all around. How many
utilities on Linux are required to replace the full functionality of the
BSD "ifconfig" ?
2) Ports. We have customers with very different requirements; we don't
have to run different Linux distros to meet their needs in a way that is
supported by the package management system. This makes the job as a
sysadmin and our infrastructure very consistent.
3) Features. PF is indispensable, and ZFS is a great bonus. System
utilities, too: sockstat, systat, gstat, BSD's top, etc.