clang tautology

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 29 04:32:02 UTC 2012

On 5/28/2012 8:47 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> and if i try to follow http://wiki.freebsd.org/BuildingFreeBSDWithClang
> i do not see where the clang world and kernel are actually made the
> normal bootable.
>
> is the clang build for releng_9 for amd64 in good enough shape that i
> can simply
>   csup
>   hack make.conf

clean /usr/obj
(I know you know this, but for the sake of the archive ....)

>   make buildworld
>   make kernel
>   boot single
>   make installworld
>   mergemaster -cviFU

FYI, there is no reason to use -F and -U together. The latter is
sufficient. The -F option is useful on a new install when the db for -U
is not present.

>   reboot
>
> as if life was normal?

Normal'ish. Personally, unless you have a specific reason to have a
clang-built world, I would avoid the hassle. (Not to mention all the
extra time that bootstrapping clang takes during buildworld.)

Doug