VirtualBox, AIO and zvol's - a cautionary tale

Pete French petefrench at ingresso.co.uk
Fri May 25 10:01:14 UTC 2012

> I have seen similar behaviour, but I did not disable AIO to solve it. Instead, in the VirtualBox VM, I made sure that the storage controller was created with the "--hostiocache on" option. Without that, the virtual machines were unreliable on ZFS with the same behaviour you saw.

Interesting. I have this setting "Off" - but my machines were perfectly
reliable until AIO was added to the mix. Are yours directly on top of
a zvol as the underlying disc, or using files on ZFS ?

Will try enabling that setting - thoigh as it is stable anyway
it wont make a lot of diffeernce I hope!

cheers,

-pete.