FreeBSD 9 and PERC H200

Ollivier Robert roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
Fri May 18 16:47:29 UTC 2012

According to Efraín Déctor:
> Today we got a Dell R210 II server with RAID controller PERC H200A, unfortunately I can’t install FreeBSD 9.0 on it, it appears that doesn’t recognize the RAID Controller. I’ve been looking and the solution is to disable de controller and make a RAID using software, however this doesn’t seem right to us (we want to test the controller itself). Do any of you guys know if the new FreeBSD 8.3 supports this controller?.

If you are installing 9.0-R, the only driver in there is the mpt one and yes, the hardware raid in not supported, you need to put the drives in passthrough and use gmirror or ZFS.

In 9-STABLE, there is a new driver from LSI themselves which should support RAID.  You could try to install a 9 snapshot and see whether it works.

I'd suggest going the passthrough mode and install ZFS, at least, that what I did on my own R210 server.

Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
In memoriam to Ondine : http://ondine.keltia.net/