[stable-9] Touchpad mouse stopped working

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu May 17 14:14:58 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM, A.J. "Fonz" van Werven
<fonz at skysmurf.nl> wrote:
> After moving from 9.0-RELEASE to 9-STABLE yesterday, the touchpad mouse on
> my netbook stopped working. When I do
> # /etc/rc.d/moused onestart
> the pointer appears and can be moved for a second or two, then it stops
> responding. Any thoughts?
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD ace.skysmurf.nl 9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #0: Thu May 17 10:49:00 CEST 2012     root at ace.skysmurf.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> Fonz

Did you mean the mouse doesn't move in xorg, or on the console? If in
xorg, have you seen this thread on x11@?

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2012-April/011756.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2012-May/011851.html

The proposed solution is to set AutoAddDevices off, so that hald is
not used to enumerate mice/keyboards, and instead rely on explicitly
configuring them in your xorg.conf.

This doesn't work for me, I need working hald as I plug and unplug
keyboards and mice each time I take my laptop out of its dock, so
instead I boot to console, and run this ugly hack:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm onestart ; sleep 20 ; /usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm onerestart

Normally after it has restarted once, X can finally talk to hald and
find the mice and keyboards.

Cheers

Tom