kldload uhci lockup

Jakub Lach jakub_lach at mailplus.pl
Mon May 14 10:21:23 UTC 2012

Here we go again...

After attempting to load those modules xterm hang,
top was locked up, couldn't select anything to buffer
in xterm, bell rang consistently BUT..

Other xterm was responsive and I managed to grab
screenshot and vmstat -i.

After forced shutdown, journaled filesystems were
marked clean, however as I saw 'free inodes' in syslog,
I shut system down again and ran fsck in single user mode.

As predicted inconsistencies showed up, after clearing
those up, still in syslog some free inodes showed up
and opera was broken (reverted to default layout, good
I had bookmarks backed up) as usually in cases when
not cleanly shut down.

So I'm overall disappointed in journalled UFS2, there were
no forced shutdown that hasn't left me without inconsistencies,
and usually opera is clearly broken most times, because it's
running always and using disk space.. And this could be the
case with more important services too.

Here is screenshot:

wow...  looks like it was one of those files that couldn't make
it after shutdown... it's missing anyway.

FWIW, vmstat -i was not showing rapidly increasing interrupts,
and offending command was something like

$ sudo kldload usb ums ahci uhci

So still nothing new.