Make filesystem type configurable for periodic(8)?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Fri May 4 16:05:18 UTC 2012

A few of the periodic(8) scripts in FreeBSD have constructs similar to
the following to get which filesystems to scan for various things:
    MP=`mount -t ufs,zfs | awk '$0 !~ /no(suid|exec)/ { print $3 }'`

For systems with large ZFS pools, and many ZFS filesystems, these
periodic scripts can grind it to its knees, and then some.  For
backups servers where we don't really care about the
ownership/permissions of files from the FreeBSD perspective, we really
don't want the ZFS filesytems to be scanned; only the UFS ones for the
FreeBSD OS install.  To that end, I have to manually edit these files
to remove the ",zfs":
    MP=`mount -t ufs | awk '$0 !~ /no(suid|exec)/ { print $3 }'`
                          ^^^^^^^^
Would it be worthwhile to anyone else to make the filesystem type(s)
to scan via the periodic(8) scripts a variable that's set by default
in /etc/defaults/periodic.conf and that user's can override via
/etc/periodic.conf?

Or, am I the only one that's suffering here?  :)

If there's interesting in this, I can look into coming up with some
patches.  But wanted to check if anyone else would find it useful.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com