User root can't get email

Jason Hellenthal jhellenthal at dataix.net
Fri May 4 05:05:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 06:02:35PM -0500, Efraín Déctor wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a FreeBSD Server 8.2, the past few days I’ve noticed that the user root  was not recieving email. I ran a test simply by using:
>
> mail root
>
> Then in /var/log/messsages I got this message:
>
> May  3 22:47:56 edh sendmail[74022]: q3RFM513074022: SYSERR(root): Cannot reopen ./dfq3RFM513074022: No such file or directory
> May  3 22:47:56 edh sendmail[74022]: q3RFM514074022: SYSERR(root): putbody: Cannot open ./dfq3RFM513074022 for MAILER-DAEMON from root: No such file or directory
>
> Im not using this server as a email server, but it is very important to me because I have some scripts running by cron that send the output by email to the user that is running them, in this case root.

If you have recently been working on upgrading your system in any way I
would check the perms on all the directories in /var and possibly other
systems as can be advised in a upgrade procedure within the handbook.

You may also attempt the following which may fix it but it comes with a
disclaimer and you should know how to fix it if it breaks.

mtree -deU -f /etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist

Before doing the above, I would seriously ask myself... What did I do in
those last few days or week or so... and at least attempt to backtrack
to a conclusive result.

Good luck.

--