Jails can't get routing info

David Thiel lx at redundancy.redundancy.org
Tue May 1 19:41:35 UTC 2012

Hello,

So, I've been trying to debug an issue running nmap scans within jails,
partially documented here:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q2/220

On further debugging, it's seeming like jails can't read routing
information directly at all:

# route get 69.163.203.254
route: writing to routing socket: No such process

Now, this is normally done via reading the routing table via something like
socket(PF_ROUTE, SOCK_RAW, AF_INET), so one would suspect that this is a
problem with raw sockets; but raw sockets are enabled within the jail.
netstat is able to read routing information just fine, but I don't think
it's doing it via the socket() call.

Anyone know why this behavior might be happening?

Thanks,
David