LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240 with mfi driver?

Doug Ambrisko ambrisko at ambrisko.com
Fri Mar 30 23:24:05 UTC 2012

Jan Mikkelsen writes:
| On 31/03/2012, at 9:21 AM, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
|
| > Jan Mikkelsen writes:
| > | I don't know what changes Sean did. Are they in 9.0-release, or do I
| > | need -stable after a certain point? I'm assuming I should be able to
| > | take src/sys/dev/mfi/... and src/usr.sbin/mfiutil/... from -current.
| >
| > It's in the SVN project/head_mfi repro.  You can browse it via the web at:
| > 	http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/projects/head_mfi/
| >
| > It's not in -current yet.  I'm working on the.  I just did all the
| > merges to a look try and eye'd them over.  Now doing a compile test
| > then I can check it into -current.
|
| OK, will check it out.
|
| > | The performance is an interesting thing. The write performance I care
| > | about is ZFS raidz2 with 6 x JBOD disks (or 6 x single disk raid0) on
| > | this controller. The 9261 with a BBU performs well but obviously costs more.
| >
| > There will need to be clarification in the future.  JBOD is not that
| > same as a single disk RAID.  If I remember correctly, when doing some
| > JBOD testing version single disk RAID is that JBOD is slower.  A
| > single disk RAID is faster since it can use the RAID.  However, without
| > the battery then you risk losing data on power outage etc.  Without the
| > battery then performance of a JBOD and single disk RAID should be able
| > the same.
| >
| > A real JBOD as shown by LSI's firmware etc. shows up as a /dev/mfisyspd<n>
| > entries.  JBOD by LSI is a newer thing.
|
| Ok, interesting. I was told by the distributor that the 9240 supports
| JBOD mode, but the 9261 doesn't. I'm interested to test it out with ZFS.

Correct, JBOD is not supported on all cards and depending on how the
card comes needs to be enabled.  Again JBOD is not RAID on a single
disk.  Also to clarify mfiutil create jbod does a RAID for each drive
which isn't the same definition of JBOD that LSI talks about.  They
are 2 different animals.  MegaCli can configure LSI JBOD's to enable
the feature and create them.  I'm not really sure what the value of
JBOD support is.  I haven't seen any kind of performance gains.

| > | I can see the BBU being important for controller based raid5, but I'm
| > | hoping that ZFS with JBOD will still perform well. I'm ignorant at this
| > | point, so that's why I'm trying it out. Do you have any experience or
| > | expectations with a 9240 being used in a setup like that?
| >
| > The battery or NVRAM doesn't matter on the RAID type being used since the
| > cache in NVRAM mode, says done whenever it has space in the cache for the
| > write.  Eventually, it will hit the disk.  Without the cache working in
| > this mode the write can't be acknowledged until the disk says done.  So
| > performance suffers.  With a single disk RAID you have been using the
| > cache.
|
| With RAID-5 it is important because a single update requires two writes
| and a failure in the window where one write has completed and one write
| has not could cause data corruption. I don't know whether the controller
| really handles this case.

That shouldn't be a problem since the acknowledge won't happen until
the writes are all done and if any fail then the I/O should fail back
to the OS.

| I guess I'm hopeful that ZFS will perform the function performed by the
| NVRAM on the controller. I can see how the controller in isolation is
| clearly slower without a BBU because it has to expose the higher layers
| to the disk latency.

All the ZFS should really be doing is adding another level of caching.
Without an NVRAM cache, you can't really get the performance gain.

| > Now you can force using the cache without NVRAM but you have to acknowledge
| > the risk of that.
|
| Yes, I understand the risk, and it is one I do not want to take. All
| the 9261s I have deployed have a BBU and go into write through mode if
| the battery has a problem.
|
| I think I need to test it in the context of ZFS and see how it works
| without controller NVRAM.

Well, then you can do the performance test of the 9240 on the 9261s
by disabling the battery and the cache!  Feel free to do the test on
the 9240.  I can't see anything being faster without the NVRAM cache.

Doug A.