SAS Drive identification LEDs

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Fri Mar 23 09:01:11 UTC 2012

On 21/03/2012 08:23, Matt Burke wrote:
> Under 9.0-RELEASE I'm having trouble figuring out how to light up the drive
> identification/fault lights on my enclosure (SAS disks on Chenbro
> 80H10321513C0 backplanes attached to Areca ARC-1320 HBAs)

> # setobjstat /dev/ses0 0xb 0x80 0x00 0x02 0x00
> <  light on drive bay 8 starts flashing>
> # setobjstat /dev/ses0 0xb 0x80 0x00 0x00 0x00
> <  light on drive bay 8 stops flashing>
>
> Which is great, but how can I work out how /dev/daNN maps to /dev/sesN
> element 0xNN?

Not sure if I can help but I'll throw these thoughts at you -

If I run dmesg | grep ada0 the first and last lines are -

ada0 at ahcich0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
ada0: Previously was known as ad4

or ls -l /dev | grep ada

lrw-rw-rw-   1 root  wheel     -       4B  6 Mar 04:19 ad4@ -> ada0
lrw-rw-rw-   1 root  wheel     -       6B  6 Mar 04:19 ad4p1@ -> ada0p1
lrw-rw-rw-   1 root  wheel     -       4B  6 Mar 04:19 ad8@ -> ada1
lrw-rw-rw-   1 root  wheel     -       6B  6 Mar 16:19 ad8p1@ -> ada1p1

I think man glabel may give some ideas but man libgeom would be a
starting place if your looking at drivers.

> I've read mav@'s 2011 PDF on Enclosure Management
> (http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/Enclosure_Management_en.pdf) which shows a
> work-in-progress driver and getencstat which does what I need, but it looks
> like the project's not been committed yet.

Sounds like this is your best bet. Find out how close he is to release
and offer to test, help push to be accepted in trunk.