Floppy disks don't work with FreeBSD 9.0

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Sat Mar 17 13:59:40 UTC 2012

I keep archival floppy disk copies of EPROM images on CDROM and occasionally
need to DD them back to a floppy disk for my programmer to load.  I recently
upgraded two of my shop computers from FreeBSD 7 Stable to FreeBSD 9 Stable
with clean installs.  I tried the 'fdformat' command prior to 'dd' of the
image file yesterday.  All of my floppy disks showed errors on all tracks.  I
used a ^C to abort the command and the PC dropped core.  I used the same
disks on my laptop with OpenBSD 5 and everything worked as expected.  I was
able to format and diskdupe the image to them.  I looked over the Release
Notes for FreeBSD 9 and there wasn't any mention of eliminating floppy disk
support on either FreeBSD 8 or 9.  This happened on two different PC's, both
running FreeBSD 9.  The hardware isn't suspect because these same two PC's
were able to format and dupe images when running FreeBSD 7.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1