fxp entering promiscuous mode causing link to bounce

Bruce A. Mah bmah at kitchenlab.org
Fri Mar 16 21:22:28 UTC 2012

If memory serves me right, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> I dont recall seeing this on RELENG_7, but I dont have a box to test with anymore confirm. On one box I upgraded to RELENG_8 I just noticed the nic will bounce if I enable tcpdump on it.  Sure enough, trying on a different RELENG_8 box with an fxp nic shows the same result.

JFYI I see this on an ancient i386 system I have, running 9.0-RELEASE:

fxp0: <Intel 82801BA/CAM (ICH2/3) Pro/100 Ethernet> port 0xac00-0xac3f
mem 0xefdfe000-0xefdfefff irq 11 at device 8.0 on pci1

Same thing...going into or out of promiscuous mode makes the link bounce.

fxp0: link state changed to DOWN
fxp0: promiscuous mode enabled
fxp0: link state changed to UP
fxp0: link state changed to DOWN