grow zpool on a mirror setup

George Mamalakis mamalos at eng.auth.gr
Thu Mar 15 12:11:05 UTC 2012

Hello everybody,

I have asked the same question in the freebsd forums, but had no luck.
Apart of this, there might be a bug somewhere, so I re-ask the question
to this list. Here how it goes (three posts):

post 1:

"I am experimenting with one installation of FreeBSD-9-STABLE/amd64 on a
VirtualBox that is using gptzfsboot on a raid-1 (mirrored) zfs pool. My
problem is that I need to grow the filesystem size of zfs partitions. I
followed this guide
<http://support.freenas.org/ticket/342>(http://support.freenas.org/ticket/342),
which is for FreeNAS, and encountered a few problems.

# gpart show
=>      34  40959933  ada0  GPT  (19G)
         34       128     1  freebsd-boot  (64k)
        162  35651584     2  freebsd-zfs  (17G)
   35651746   5308221     3  freebsd-swap  (2.5G)

=>      34  40959933  ada1  GPT  (19G)
         34       128     1  freebsd-boot  (64k)
        162  35651584     2  freebsd-zfs  (17G)
   35651746   5308221     3  freebsd-swap  (2.5G)

# zpool status
   pool: zroot
  state: ONLINE
   scan: resilvered 912M in 1h3m with 0 errors on Sat Mar 10 14:01:17 2012
config:

         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         zroot       ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada0p2  ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada1p2  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

# zpool list
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
zroot  5.97G  3.69G  2.28G    61%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

Let me give you a few info with regard to my setup, before explaining my
problems:
As you can see, *gpart* shows that my ada0p2 and ada1p2 partitions (used
in zroot) are of size 17G, while *zfs list* shows that zroot has a size
of 5.97G (which is the initial size of the virtual machine's disks,
before I resized them).

The problem I encountered when following the aforementioned procedure,
was that I was unable to export zroot (the procedure says to export the
pool, "resize" the paritions with *gparted*, and then import the pool),
because I was receiving a message of some of my filesystems being busy
(in single user mode, "/" was busy). Thus, in order to resolve this
issue, I booted with a CDROM of FreeBSD 9 RELEASE, I then imported
(*-f*) my zpool, and followed the procedure of resizing my filesystems.

Does anyone have a better idea as to what I should do in order to make
*zpool* see all the available space of the partitions it is using?

Thank you all for your time in advance,

mamalos"

post 2:

"Ah,

and not to forget: I have enabled the autoexpand property of *zpool* (to
be honest I've enabled, disabled, reenabled, and so forth many times,
because somewhere I read that it might be needed, sometimes...), with no
luck."

post 3:

"Since nobody has an answer that far, let me ask another thing. Instead
of deleting ada0p2 and ada1p2, and then recreating them from the same
starting block but with a grater size, could I have just created two new
filesystems (ada0p3 and ada1p3), and having them added in the pool as a
new mirror? Because if that's the case, then I could try that out, since
it seems to have the same result.

Not that this answers to my question, but at least it's a workaround. "

As stated in these posts, it's really strange that zpool list doesn't
seem to react even if I set the expand flag (or autoexpand which is the
same), hence my concern whether this could be a bug.

Thank you all for your time,

--
George Mamalakis

IT and Security Officer
Electrical and Computer Engineer (Aristotle Un. of Thessaloniki),
MSc (Imperial College of London)

Faculty of Engineering
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

phone number : +30 (2310) 994379