FreeBSD root on a geli-encrypted ZFS pool

Matthew X. Economou xenophon at irtnog.org
Sat Mar 10 16:09:42 UTC 2012

Fabian Keil writes:

> In my opinion protecting ZFS's default checksums (which cover
> non-metadata as well) with GEOM_ELI is sufficient. I don't see
> what advantage additionally enabling GEOM_ELI's integrity
> verification offers.

I follow you now.  You may be right about the extra integrity checking
being redundant with ZFS.

> Anyway, it's a test without file system so the ZFS overhead isn't
> measured. I wasn't entirely clear about it, but my assumption was
> that the ZFS overhead might be big enough to make the difference
> between HMAC/MD5 and HMAC/SHA256 a lot less significant.

Got it.  That also makes sense.  I'll put this on my to-test list.

> I'm currently using sector sizes between 512 and 8192 so I'm not
> actually expecting technical problems, it's just not clear to me
> how much the sector size matters and if 4096 is actually the best
> value when using ZFS.

The geli(8) manual page claims that larger sector sizes lower the
overhead of GEOM_ELI keying initialization and encryption/decryption
steps by requiring fewer of these compute-intensive setup operations
per block.  You can think of it in terms of networking, where it makes
sense to re-use a TCP connection for multiple HTTP requests, because
for small HTTP requests, the bandwidth and latency caused by the TCP
three-way handshake overshadows the actual data transfer.

--
I FIGHT FOR THE USERS