missing disk device under 9-STABLE

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 3 21:19:09 UTC 2012

On 03.03.2012 22:21, Jeff Blank wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 09:51:53PM +0200, Alexander Motin wrote:
>> This looks like cause of the missing disk:
>>
>> ahcich1: Timeout on slot 0 port 0
>> ahcich1: is 00000002 cs 00000000 ss 00000000 rs 00000001 tfd 50 serr
>> 00000000 cmd 00006017
>> ahcich1: Timeout on slot 0 port 0
>> ahcich1: is 00000002 cs 00000000 ss 00000000 rs 00000001 tfd 50 serr
>> 00000000 cmd 00006017
>>
>> It tells that controller signals interrupt, but driver haven't got it.
>> That is even more strange after the disk on first SATA port is working
>> fine. You may try to add to your /boot/loader.conf line:
>> hint.ahci.0.msi=0
>> , or just set it via loader prompt.
>
> Alexander,
>
> Thanks, that seemed to clear the problem up, no troubles through half
> a dozen or more reboots.
>
> Is disabling MSI likely to have any side effects on, for example,
> performance or reliability?  Is there any point to pursuing this as a
> FreeBSD problem, since I didn't have any issues under the old ATA
> system?  I'm happy to help troubleshoot this if anyone thinks it's
> worth looking into.

MSI interrupts could give a bit better performance. But with regular
HDDs I think it is unlikely that you notice any difference. What's about
about old driver, it never used MSI by default, while new one does.

What board and chipset do you use? Have you tried to update BIOS? Please
show `pciconf -lvcb` output about the controller.

--
Alexander Motin