flowtable usable or not

Ian Lepore freebsd at damnhippie.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 3 16:56:37 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 09:09 -0800, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> H <hm at hm.net.br> wrote:
>
> > ... Forever installing FreeBSD Desktop, either KDE or Gnome,
> > was a nightmare process, or better, to make it appear on screen
> > was a nightmare.
>
> I have never understood the point of KDE or Gnome, other than
> (perhaps) as eye candy for the uninitiated.  If I wanted a
> Windows desktop, I would install Windows.  If I wanted a Mac
> desktop, I would use a Mac.

I've been getting paid to develop software since 1975 -- I'm hardly what
you would call "the uninitiated."  I couldn't imagine working without a
fully functional desktop environment.  Look at a calendar, it's 2012.
Maybe you long for a return to punch cards and fanfold greenbar paper,
but I'm not going back there.

It's exactly because I don't want a Windows or Mac desktop that I use
gnome.  (I used to be a Mac user, starting in the 80s, but Apple lost
their way during their struggle to survive 10 years ago.  Soon you won't
be able to boot a Mac without an account at the iTunes store, and my
last Mac will go into the e-cycle pile at that point.)

-- Ian