FreeBSD 9.0 release - memstick installation fails

Garrett Wollman wollman at hergotha.csail.mit.edu
Sat Mar 3 03:32:34 UTC 2012

In article <719F8E0E-F88D-48E7-B2B7-ABA44B4F4163 at free.de>,
gallasch at free.de wrote:

>Trying to install 9.0 release with a USB stick.
>I use FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img
>
>At first the bootup looks promising, but in the end it stops with "Root
>mount waiting for: usbus2 usbus1 usbus"

The 9.0 memstick image worked (nearly[1]) flawlessly for me, albeit on
a different kind of device.  It would be really nice if it supported
installing directly onto ZFS, though, so that I could avoid doing the
install-on-UFS, copy-to-ZFS, pull-boot-drive-and-reboot,
reinsert-boot-drive-and-add-to-mirror business.  Getting
/boot/zfs/zpool.cache is really tricky with the new livefs
architecture -- I was able to install on a ZFS pool just fine, but I
wasted three hours trying to make it bootable before giving up and
doing it the old-fashioned way.

(That machine is now being tested as an NFS fileserver[2], getting the
snot beat out of it by our most abusive users.)

-GAWollman

[1] The mps driver in 9.0 is no good, and would not allow the system
to boot while even one drive shelf was hooked up.  Booting with
external drives disconnected, then connecting them in multiuser mode,
works fine, although it didn't see one of the SES targets.
After cherry-picking the new LSI-supported driver from 9-stable, it
boots fine and sees all of the SES devices.

[2]
wollman at zfsnfs(9)$ uptime
10:17PM  up 4 days, 13:07, 2 users, load averages: 8.54, 8.49, 8.72
wollman at zfsnfs(10)$ zpool status export
  pool: export
 state: ONLINE
 scan: scrub canceled on Thu Mar  1 15:22:42 2012
config:

        NAME                  STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        export                ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-0            ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk2   ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk3   ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk4   ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk5   ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk6   ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk7   ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk8   ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk9   ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk10  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk11  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk12  ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-1            ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk14  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk16  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk17  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk19  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk20  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk21  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk22  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk23  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk24  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk25  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk26  ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-2            ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk27  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk28  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk29  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk30  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk31  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk32  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk33  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk34  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk35  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk36  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk37  ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-3            ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk38  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk39  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk40  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk41  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk42  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk43  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk44  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk45  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk46  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk47  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk48  ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-4            ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk49  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk50  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk52  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk53  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk54  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk55  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk56  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk57  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk58  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk59  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk60  ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-5            ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk61  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk62  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk63  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk64  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk65  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk66  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk67  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk68  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk69  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk70  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk71  ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-6            ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk72  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk73  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk76  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk77  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk78  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk79  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk80  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk81  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk82  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk83  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk84  ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-7            ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk85  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk86  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk87  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk88  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk89  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk90  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk91  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk92  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk93  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk94  ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/disk95  ONLINE       0     0     0
        logs
          mirror-8            ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/ssd0    ONLINE       0     0     0
            multipath/ssd2    ONLINE       0     0     0
        cache
          multipath/ssd1      ONLINE       0     0     0
          multipath/ssd3      ONLINE       0     0     0
        spares
          multipath/disk13    AVAIL
          multipath/disk96    AVAIL
          multipath/disk51    AVAIL

errors: No known data errors
wollman at zfsnfs(11)$ zpool list export
NAME     SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
export   160T  5.84T   154T     3%  1.61x  ONLINE  -