flowtable usable or not

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 2 22:24:41 UTC 2012

On 3/2/2012 1:27 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 02/03/2012 20:21 Doug Barton said the following:
>> ... and here is the crux of the problem. The vast majority of our
>> developers don't use FreeBSD as their regular workstation.
>
> Do you care to back this up with facts?

You mean other than the very few hands that go up whenever we discuss
"who is actually using FreeBSD as their desktop?" If that doesn't work
for you, look around at the next developer's summit and take note of the
overwhelming preponderance of fruit logos.

Just looking at the committers, of which we have over 300, only a couple
dozen at most have ever identified as actually using FreeBSD as a
desktop at my count. Taking the larger development community into
account I think the numbers are a little better, but not much.

Sure, our strength is servers, and that is not going to change. But how
many real-life bugs have I personally uncovered in -current as a result
of actually running it (mostly) daily? I'm not the only one, certainly,
but if the numbers were flipped and the vast majority of our developers
*did* use FreeBSD routinely, how much better off would we be?

And before anyone bothers to point it out, yes, I happen to be using
Windows at this exact moment. I have some layer 9 work to get done and I
need tools that are only available to me in Windows (more's the pity).

The sad thing is, judging by the activity on the -ports@ list, the
traffic in #bsdports, and just talking to/interacting with FreeBSD
users, a lot of *them* are not only interested in FreeBSD as a desktop
OS, they are actually doing it.

Doug