flowtable usable or not

K. Macy kmacy at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 2 18:46:50 UTC 2012

> ... and here is the crux of the problem. The vast majority of our
> developers don't use FreeBSD as their regular workstation. So it has
> increasingly become an OS where changes are being lobbed over the wall
> by developers who don't run systems that those changes affect. That's no
> way to run a railroad.

You understand my point but then fail to or choose not to see how it
applies to you when it creates problems for you personally. In essence
my point was that "It was broken so I turned it off, end of story."
does not constitute constructive feedback and does not contribute to
the development of FreeBSD. It isn't your responsibility to help me
debug my code just as it isn't my responsibility to contribute to the
maintenance of ports by dealing with a port management that for me has
been virtually unusable in coping with dependencies.  I'm not eating
the ports dog food because it is broken for me and you're not fully
eating the sys dog food because it is broken for you are perfectly
reasonable courses of action taken in isolation. However, our
respective actions cumulatively don't contribute to the welfare of
FreeBSD and my response was simply voicing frustration with such
conduct. If you do not see the parallels between the two then there
really isn't anything further to discuss about how we engage with the
community.

-Kip

--
   “The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by.'
The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t

   Those for whom freedom, honour, truth, and principles are only
literature. Those who live small, love small, die small. It’s the
reductionist approach to life: if you keep it small, you’ll keep it
under control. If you don’t make any noise, the bogeyman won’t find
you.

   But it’s all an illusion, because they die too, those people who
roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?!
>From what? Life is always on the edge of death; narrow streets lead to
the same place as wide avenues, and a little candle burns itself out
just like a flaming torch does.

   I choose my own way to burn.”

   Sophie Scholl