new desktop box

Robert Comstock robert at comstockrd.com
Wed Jun 27 17:42:28 UTC 2012

On 6/27/2012 10:37 AM, Zoran Kolic wrote:
> Dear list! This evening my 7 years old node powers down for it's
> own sake. After a bit of panic, I made a decision to get new box.
> Regarding fast development of hardware, I cannot choose what is
> the correct way to go. For long time I use AMD and would like to
> have another one, but would listen to advice, if proves better to
> have intel. What are features I'd like: - to be silent and cold -
> to stay on not-expensive side Finally, questions. Phenom II 1100
> or something else? Mobo for said cpu with eth, well working with
> freebsd? Graphical card, silent, that would work with amd64,
> branch 9? No games, nothing fancy. To last next few years. I plan
> to com- pile kernel or two. Half of usage is in console, startx
> then. I will give additional information for my taste, if needed.
> Best regards
>
> Zoran

For me I have had more problems with cheap (even expensive) mobo's
than with either CPU type.  I like the i5 offering where the CPU can
spike one core clock up to speed things up.  Seems like the best of
both worlds, when you need multiprocessor speed you have it, when one
process needs more it can also have it.  As far as silent it has been
all about fan choice.  I custom build all mine so I can pick and
choose the features I want in case/fans/etc.

Thanks,

Robert

- --
Robert Comstock