KMS on Sandy bridge error device_attach

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 18:38:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 08:28:29PM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Hello Konstantin,
Do not strip lists from Cc:, I am not your tech support.

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Konstantin Belousov
> <kostikbel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31260L @ 2.40GHz (2400.07-MHz K8-class CPU)
> >>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x206a7  Family = 6  Model = 2a  Stepping = 7
> >>
> >> Is this model supposed to work with the current code?
> >
> > Show pciconf -lv output. Also show the dmesg from verbose boot.
>
> Thank you for your quick response. Output is attached.
> This is probably one of the relatively rarely sold CPUs, so I might
> have an edge case here...
Yes, indeed, this is something Intel calls 'SandyBridge server Integrated
Graphics'. The device id is known to agp driver, but probably it failed
to attach due to some (mis)interpretation of the state.

Your dmesg is not complete, the hda output displaced the previous
messages which contained the agp attach diagnostic. Take agp or hda
out from kernel, and rerun the test. Or, increase MSGBUF_SIZE, see
conf/NOTES for description.