How to bind a route to a network adapter and not IP

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Jun 15 18:01:35 UTC 2012

> Perhaps you can ask the very same question in another way so its easier
> to understand why you losing packets? All in all I always thought TCP/IP
> was the basic unit in Internet based networking but feel free to correct
> me if you have any news I might have missed... :)

This is an old and well known problem, with no solution as of today
(unless you want to run quagga/zebra or similar).

With Cisco and Juniper (and probably lots of other big name) routers,
if I create a static route pointing to a next hop on one interface,
and the interface goes down (e.g. Ethernet cable is unplugged),

1. the static route is removed from the routing table.

But then, when the interface later comes back up

2. the static route is reinstalled in the routing table.

With FreeBSD point 1 above happens, but not point 2.

I would love to have the functionality where FreeBSD would reinstall
the route as in point 2 above. I think this is definitely the least
surprising behavior (POLA), and should happen even without running an
explicit routing system like quagga.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no