FreeBSD and IPMI how-to (was Re: su problem)

Bob Bishop rb at gid.co.uk
Fri Jun 15 07:16:20 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 15 Jun 2012, at 02:27, Matthew X. Economou wrote:

> Would some kind soul point me to a howto for configuring IPMI on
> FreeBSD?  I have a Dell PowerEdge 840 that supports IPMI, but I have
> no idea how to set it up - either in the BIOS or in FreeBSD.  I've
> messed around with ipmitools a little, but I haven't gotten it to
> work.

To get things like remote management and serial over LAN working, the config has to be right on both the OS and the platform. Others have addressed the FreeBSD end; configuration of the platform is documented here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smbmcmu

but you'll have to figure out which version is applicable to your box. When you have ipmitool working, the output of `ipmitool mc info' may help with that. Also, it seems like your box implements IPMI v1.5, which is rather less friendly than v2.

--
Bob Bishop
rb at gid.co.uk