kern/157863: [geli] kbdmux prevents geli passwords from being entered properly on boot

Thomas Steen Rasmussen thomas at gibfest.dk
Wed Jun 13 13:20:29 UTC 2012

On 13-06-2012 15:01, Fabian Keil wrote:
> Thomas Steen Rasmussen <thomas at gibfest.dk> wrote:
>
>> Just to let everyone know that this is still an issue.
>>
>> I am trying to install FreeBSD 9.0 amd64 on a Lenovo X121e and I
>> can't get it to accept the geli passphrase during boot. I've confirmed
>> using kern.geom.eli.visible_passphrase=1 that the passphrase is
>> correct, and the same passphrase is accepted when the system is
>> booted up.
>>
>> I've tried disabling kbdmux in /boot/device.hints like the PR said,
>> but that didn't help. I also tried disabling atkbd and atkbdc without
>> any luck, infact I couldn't type anything at all when disabling those.
>
> If disabling kbdmux doesn't help, it sounds like a different issue to me.

You are right, shame on me for polluting an innocent PR with
unrelated stuff. More info below.

>> Any hints or suggestions to what I might try ? I have another 9-stable
>> laptop that mounts a geli volume at boot, no idea why that one works
>> and this new one doesn't.
>
> Are you using the password together with a keyfile?

Yes I am.

> I've misconfigured the keyfile in loader.conf in the past,
> which results in the valid password not being accepted.
>
> Obviously the setup then magically works later on when the
> keyfile is specified correctly on the command line.

This (a small typo in keyfile in loader.conf) was the
problem, and I need to get my eyes examined :-)

geli could be better at explaining the problem though.

Thank you Fabian! Just what I needed.

Apologies for the noise,
Thomas Steen Rasmussen